Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Inspiration Day: nautical stripes

It's funny how our client's designs tend to bleed into our every day lives without us even realizing it. For the past two weeks I've been obsessed with getting a yellow cardigan. Not just any yellow cardi, either. It needs to be a canary-mustardy yellow. It all began with this nautical striped shirt I bought from Gap.


Photo credit: gap.com

It's cute, right? And it's all the rage with fall trends. So I happened to be walking by H&M and there it was. My yellow sweater was in the store window. It was the exact shade of yellow I was looking for and it was the right price. I immediately ran in and began scouring the racks, but it was no where to be found. (This is why I have a love/hate relationship with H&M.) So I asked a sales associate when a new shipment would be coming and apparently the store gets them every day, but they don't know what ships when. So, of course, I've been incessantly going to H&M for no reason to look for my yellow cardi. So far, no luck.

I began to wonder what my problem was. Why did I need to have a yellow sweater to go with my nautical striped shirt? Besides the fact that all the fashion & home blogs are talking about it, what was really my inspiration behind my madness? It finally hit me this morning as I was going through my pintrest boards. We have been working on a lovely Save The Date for a St. Barths wedding and I found my inspiration:


Photo credit: pintrest

Photo credit: pintrest

Photo credit: pintrest


Can you see a theme here?

The bride actually found us while on a flight to San Fran. She was sitting next to Jen on the plane and was searching for wedding invites. Jen found out that she lived in San Fran and was planning a destination wedding in St. Barths. Long story short, she became our client (and ironically lives down the street from Jen!) and we are now doing her STDs. The couple wanted a travel/ St. Barths theme for their wedding suite and the yellow / blue combo seemed to fit perfectly. Before doing this wedding, we didn't know much about St. Barths besides the fact that:

1) It's in the Caribbean

Photo credit: go.cvg.com

2) It has gorgeous blue water

Photo credit: go.cvg.com

3) Celebrities like to play there, such as Jay-Z, Lindsey Lohan and Fergie.

We think that is Jay-Z's yacht, on the very bottom of the pic :)


So, we created several options for our bride-to-be; most of them having a touch of the blue and yellow color scheme that I've become obsessed with. We'll get to show those chosen design to you soon. (Sorry for the tease!) In the mean time, I'll be on the lookout for an alternative to my yellow H&M sweater. Any good suggestions on where to find one?


No comments:

Post a Comment