Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Charles Town

Just got back from a lovely weekend in Charleston, SC and I totally forgot what an amazing city it is! The last time I was in Charleston was way back in college, so it was fun to see the city through different (and less hazy) eyes this time around. My husband and I stayed in the city, proper, but had a few days at the beach as well. We absolutely love Savannah, so we knew we would really enjoy it's sister city, but had no clue how much Charleston had to offer. The history, the beaches, the beautiful architecture, the amazing restaurants, the old mixing with the new... it a definitely a place we could see ourselves retiring. (Even though that's about 30 years down the road. Still, it's nice to dream).

Traveling through the streets of the city, I couldn't help but be enamored by all of the beautiful design, lovely typography and fun hand-painted signage. As you know, Jen and I are pretty big type nerds, so I thought it would be fun to snap some photos for you guys to enjoy.



I definitely couldn't get enough of the house numbers. Each one was totally different from the next and felt like it was part of the house or business.

Hand painted signs were all over the cute little shops along King Street.


Everyday store signs seemed much more interesting when created by an artist.

Here are just more examples of the art around Charleston and Folly Beach


If you ever get a chance to explore the city, I would highly recommend it. The city is gorgeous and there are tons of tours, day trips to the beach, restaurants to eat in and museums to visit. If you do go there, keep your eye out for more than just historical markers and the cobblestones on the road (so you don't trip, like I did every other step I took). Look up at the hand-painted signs, look at the small details on the sides of the houses and keep your eyes peeled for all the glorious typography that surrounds the city.

~LGT



No comments:

Post a Comment